On Friday night at 8 PM, we took a taxi into the city of Yogyakarta to eat a late dinner and get some energy for our hike. We were naively very excited and couldn't wait to start. At 10 PM, we met the trois garcons francais (3 french boys) who would be joining us on the trek. The 7 of us squeezed into a car and started the nauseating drive to Selo, the village at the base of the mountain where we would start hiking. I'm not sure how it happened because I am not the smallest one in the group, but I ended up in the middle of the backseat trying not to have a panic attack from feeling claustrophobic. Nearly 2 hours later, we arrived at the town and met the 12 other hikers (all Europeans, all serious hiking people) and 5 guides who would be joining us on the trek. We all sat down and enjoyed a warm cup of tea before embarking on our journey (it was actually very chilly in this area).
At the beginning, when we had yet to discover the difficulties awaiting us:
At 1 AM, we started the 4 1/2 hour trek to the top. It was steeper than expected but not too difficult yet. We stopped to rest after only about 45 minutes and then continued on. But by the second resting point, I was already drenched in sweat even though the air was cool. I started cussing myself out for not splurging on a headlamp, because holding onto a flashlight while trying to grab onto rocks and climb up a mountain is quite difficult. Derek, one of the volunteers, could tell I was struggling a lot and he let me use his headlamp. While everyone's pace probably stayed the same, to me it felt like we were running up the mountain at some points. The guides were not as helpful as they should have been, and sometimes I wanted to stop and catch my breath but couldn't because I was afraid that I would get too far behind and wouldn't be able to find the way. At one point this German girl was really helpful and stayed behind with me so I wouldn't get lost, and I also had to yell for Derek once to make him go slower and climb with me. When we were about an hour away from the top, the terrain changed significantly, so now we were preparing to climb sheer rockface. I was so exhausted, and one of the guides held my hand for the rest of the way up, sometimes pulling me up over ridiculously steep volcanic rocks that can easily start crumbling. I was obviously picked out as one of the weaklings of the group and suffered a little bit of ego damage from this, but I was also just happy that the guides were actually doing their jobs. So a little before 5:30 AM, by some miracle of God, we reached the top of the wretched mountain.
The 7 of us (4 volunteers + 3 French boys) at the top of the mountain. We look happy. It must have been the delirium setting in...
Resting at the top was less than satisfactory. The mountain was spewing out some kind of sulfurous gas that made me feel some nausea on top of exhaustion. It was also freezing at the top; even with my fleece jacket my teeth were chattering. While the sunrise was pretty, it was a cloudy day so we couldn't even see very far from the mountain. Also, who could rest calmly knowing that the only way down the mountain was either to hike or to be airlifted out by a helicopter? (yeah, we actually asked...)
Sunrise
Me + sulfurous gas coming out of the mountain:
As most hikers probably know, the trek down a mountain doesn't take as long as the climb, but it is often more challenging. Trying not to slide down the crumbling volcanic rock while still making substantial progress can be very difficult. My hands became red and worn from grabbing rocks, tree roots, or anything in my path to hang on for dear life. My back ached from hunching over, trying to keep balanced and prepared in case I started slipping. After awhile, I realized I was no longer able to straighten my legs, and my knees felt as if they might snap. It wasn't just me feeling like this though-- the other volunteers were also struggling a lot, and a couple of them are actually somewhat experienced hikers. We finally reached the bottom of the mountain at 10 AM, which means that the entire hike took us 9 hours. At that point, I was happy to be alive.
Loose, crumbly volcanic rock:
But it wasn't quite over yet. I had to endure the ride back to the city stuffed in the back of that car, with that driver hugging the turns on the road from the mountain. By the time we got back to our homestays, it was 12:30 PM that day. We had even considered getting a hotel room for the day just so we could enjoy a hot shower, but eventually decided that it would be best just to bathe with cold water at home and go to sleep right away. As I was trying to rest, I kept feeling as if I were climbing a mountain, putting one foot in front of the other on loose volcanic rock. Luckily I got some decent rest before dinner.
Just as our host mom was bringing us dinner that night, I heard a rumbling sound and everything in the house started shaking. It seems so obvious now that it was an earthquake, but I was really confused at the time. It was a really quick earthquake; it only lasted about 5 seconds, but we all went outside to wait and make sure it was over. As we were in the street, Felicity (another volunteer at my homestay) said to me, "What if that had happened while we were climbing Mount Merapi.....?"
Book I'm reading: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
I am so glad you are back on flat ground. Great writing, felt like I was there with you. Not necessarily a good feeling for a mom.
ReplyDeleteLove ya lots ! ! !
Wow - that is a good story! I'm sorry, but that sounds awful - painful, humiliating, and a little scary all at the same time. But you know, how many people can ever say that they climbed Mt. Merapi? No one that reads your blog probably ever will, even if they're in the vicinity! But I'm very impressed that you made it - I think I might have just sat down somewhere and cried and told them to leave me there to die - but I'm glad you didn't do that! Thanks for the entertainment! Love, Lisa
ReplyDeletebest. story. ever. i wish i was there so i could laugh at your white ass. but i probably would have died before i got to see that. good thing i just got to read about it.
ReplyDeleteNow thats adventure.
ReplyDeleteCrazy story, and agreed with mom, great writing. Even crazier to read since it erupted yesterday. So glad to hear you're safe!
ReplyDelete